The A14 transmission season ends on October 26, 2014, and a brand-new season starts, known as B14.
On October 25 2014 I visited the Yarra Parklands, in Melbourne's outer east for hiking and photography in the expansive Westerfolds' Park, in the Templestowe district.
I set up the little Eton E5 radio with a couple of metres of random antenna, in the car park near the Kestrel Creek. This is a great monitoring site, with negligible power line noise , even though the main 500,000 volt transmission line leading to the Templestowe distribution station is close by!
Interestingly, there is no 3G or 4G mobile telephone coverage in the Park!
During the mid-afternoon window, 0400-0430 UT, the bands above about 10 MHz were very active, and this summary may be of interest.
- Vatican Radio using the Tinian relay (Marianas) for its Chinese service (on 21560)
- Radio Japan/NHK using the Tashkent relay for its Persian service (15140), and in Japanese from the Nauen (Germany) relay (11680)
- Radio Romania International with its Chinese service (17780)
- VOIRI for its Swahili service (15340)
- Radio Tamajuz from the Santa Maria di Galeria (Vatican) relay for Sudanese (11650)
- Radio Mashaad Pashto service from the Udon relay ( Thailand) (15740)
- RAE Buenos Aires with its Chinese service (11711, nominally 11700!)
The Monitoring Site!